The Best Smothered Pork Chop Recipe!
Change up your “same ‘ol pork chop” and try this southern style Smothered Pork Chop recipe!
Easy, delicious and will leave you licking off the plate, ha! I think I seriously just found my go-to pork chop recipe! The creamy buttermilk gravy traps in all of the flavors from the chops and the skillet and will definitely leave you wanting more!
What you need
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika (I love “smoked” paprika)
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt (table salt is fine, my reference when cooking is kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in (boneless Chops OK!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (don’t have it on hand? Make your own Buttermilk)
- Chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley (for garnish )
- 1-2 green onions, chopped (for garnish )
- Put the flour in a shallow platter & add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. (DO NOT toss leftover seasoned flour, you will use it in step 5)
- Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels to remove any moisture and then dredge them in the seasoned flour
- Lightly shake off the excess flour and set chops aside.
- Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet (my cast iron worked beautifully for this!) over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan in a single layer
- Fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the pork chops from the pan and add a little sprinkle of seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the fat to dissolve and then pour in the chicken broth in. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly.Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy
- return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until the pork is cooked through.
- Taste the gravy to determine if you need to season with more salt and pepper, if so- add salt & pepper to taste. Plate & serve; pour over some gravy and garnish with chopped green onion and parsley.
Serve and Enjoy!
Try this recipe and let me know what you think! My family seriously gets so excited when I say I am going to make it. You will not regret it!