It’s Easter time!!! Jelly beans, chocolates, baskets and eggs…… and of course Peeps… they are everywhere! And, if I can be honest with you, I actually don’t like them! Lol! In reality, I don’t really like marshmallow anything, except for a few items like rice crispy treats and s’mores (and of course, Lucky charms). My son however can probably live off of marshmallows if given the option, including Peeps!
So…. with so many packs of Peeps sitting around the house I decided it was time to make a fun treat that all of us will enjoy (a mix of Peeps for my son and crispy treats for me) and I wanted to share it with you! I promise, this is SUPER EASY! If you young have kids, this is the perfect “baking recipe” for them to make (with supervision). Let them get super creative with the design too with cookie cutters , candy, decorations etc!
WHAT YOU NEED
- At least 4 packs of Peeps (preferably the 12 count packs) choose a different color per pack (if you have the smaller packs, I have a little hack for you in my notes below)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups crispy rice cereal PER COLOR (separate each batch; 1 large 12oz cereal box will make at least 4 batches, you can possibly get up to 5) **I used 2 cups per color because I used a large 9″ x 13″ [3qt] Pyrex dish and I needed that extra 1/2 cup to coat evenly. If you are using smaller pans, 1 1/2 cups will work fine
- 1 Tbsp butter PER color
- Cooking Spray
- Microwave safe bowl
- **optional: food coloring, same colors as the peeps you have. This is completely optional but definitely will add a “pop” in color if that is what you desire
- In a large microwave safe bowl, place Peeps and 1 tbsp butter; microwave 1 minute on high
Carefully remove from Microwave, with a greased spatula (spray some cooking spray on the spatula) mix the melted marshmallow/butter (*now is the time you need to add food coloring and incorporate color well, if you have chosen add extra color. This needs to be done before you pour the cereal into the mix)
- Pour 2 cups of rice crispies. Incorporate well so that color distributes evenly
- Grease your pan with cooking spray and spread the first colored layer
- Repeat all these steps with the remainder colors and stack them as you go
- Allow them to fully cool
- Cut into squares or use some really cool cookie cutters and serve
**NOTE: When making these today, I only had 2 large packs of Peeps and 2 smaller packs. In order to have 4 “equal” portions, I decided to add a few large marshmallows to my smaller batches and a few drops of corresponding food coloring. (The food coloring was added after I melted the Peeps, and I only needed about 5-6 drops) .
My kids LOVED these! The colors were vibrant, the taste was perfect (100% better than the last plain batch of rice crispy treats we previously made) and they are just all in all — FUN & spunky! Don’t ‘cha think?!?
Show me your creations!!!! Comment below or on my FB Page. Don’t forget to Pin, Share, Like etc!! xoxo
Enjoy! Until Next Time….