Add a little fun to the season! This Pumpkin Spice Play dough is easy to make, fun for the kids and will make your home smell amazing!
I mentioned this before when I posted the directions to make Homemade Paint for Toddlers, Isabella puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. She is the complete opposite of Dylan! You should see her when the dogs get fed… oh boy! So of course, if I let her play with anything new other than her toys I have to make sure it is safe in case it is accidentally digested! lol. That’s why this play dough is Perfect for toddlers, because it is made with kitchen pantry items.
You may wonder… why the Pumpkin Spice? No reason! This is really just a “different” and fun way of changing up the typical play dough recipe and filling the air with amazing aromas! The kids will like it too, think: Scratch n’ Sniff or scented markers, etc! C’mon… what kid doesn’t enjoy these things. I know I always did!
Now, I am not a “Pumpkin Spice on everything” girl, however I do love the aroma! The pumpkin spice will also give the play dough a really pretty earthy tone to it. So if you add food coloring (which is optional) you will end up with really beautiful autumn colors! And, remember.. if you do not have any Pumpkin Spice on hand you can always make your own! Check out my Pumpkin Spice Substitution post to find out how!
So, Let’s get started!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- optional: food coloring (Red, Yellow, Green are great. Purple and orange also come out really pretty!)
- Combine all ingredients except the coloring in a large pot.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until a big ball forms. this does not take long; approx 5 min. (It should be smooth and no longer sticky.)
- Remove from pot and allow to cool until the dough can be worked by hand.4. Divide the dough into sections -depending on how many different colors you want. I made 4. I used red, green & yellow – leaving the final one as a natural earth tone, however I did add a few red, blue and yellow drops to make it a little bit more “brown” – the ratio for brown food coloring is : 3 drops -red, 3 drops -yellow and 2 drops -blue5. Work the colors into the dough by adding a few drops at a time and kneading. (depending on color, you will use approx. 5-8 drops, more or less is OK)
Time to play!
Isabella had so much fun with this!
She carried it around with her everywhere she went
And even gave it HUGS, lol!
I really hope y’all like this one and try it. Do you usually make play dough from scratch for your kids? Let me know how it comes out! Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE for more fun DIY’s, recipes and more!